Paris in November… what are you waiting for?
26th and 27th November 2012
École nationale supérieure des Arts Décoratif EnsAD (Paris, France)
- Paper submission: 27th July 2012
- Notification of acceptance: 28th September 2012
- Final paper submission: 26th October 2012
- Summit: 26th-27th November 2012
The theme for the 2nd European Immersive Education (iED) Summit is:
Immersive Education: combining creativity, art and pedagogy
The École Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs (EnsAD) in Paris has the mission to provide artistic, scientific and technical training for creative designers engaged in design and research in all aspects of the decorative arts. EnsADlab is involved in research on the creation of artistic and shared online spaces, exploring the aesthetic and sociological implications of immersive 3D environments.
The 2nd European iED summit will build on this theme, exploring how virtual spaces can be used for innovative forms of teaching and learning, fostering creativity and artistic expression. This will be rooted in new technological developments in the fields of virtual, augmented and mixed reality. There will also be a strong emphasis on pedagogy and effective design and evaluation of solutions, with case studies from active practitioners in this emerging cross-disciplinary domain.
One special session will explore the uses of shared online spaces and metamedia as spaces for creation, exposition and artistic appreciation. Some examples are:
- As spaces of live creation (art experimentation)
- As spaces for exposing and represent art (museography & design)
- As spaces for idea exchange and communication (collaborative platforms for artistic and academic community)
Confirmed keynote speakers include:
- Prof. Chris Fowler – Virtual Reality and Learning: Where’s the pedagogy? The School of Education, The University of the West Indies
There is a growing interest in the use of virtual and mixed-reality environments for online teaching and learning. Immersive Education gives participants a sense of “being there” even when attending a class or training session in person isn’t possible, practical, or desirable, which in turn provides educators and students with the ability to connect and communicate in a way that greatly enhances the learning experience. Originally available only to university students, the next generation of Immersive Education is focused on a broad spectrum of academic and non-academic users (higher education, K-12, and corporate training).
iED Summits are official Immersive Education Initiative conferences organized specifically for educators, researchers, and administrators. iED Summits consist of presentations, panel discussions, break-out sessions and workshops that provide attendees with an in-depth overview of immersive learning platforms, technologies and cutting-edge research from around the world. iED Summits feature new and emerging virtual worlds, learning games, educational simulations, mixed/augmented reality, and related teaching tools, techniques, technologies, standards and best practices.
This summit will address core topics on the use of virtual and mixed-reality environments for online education and training applications. The scope will be fairly broad and will look at a range of innovative uses of virtual reality immersive environments. This could range from using and developing virtual environments through to practitioners with experience of teaching online and developing new approaches and pedagogies, including underpinning theories, human factors, pedagogy and design/evaluation strategies, case studies and more technical/scientific research topics. Submissions that have empirical results derived from virtual or mixed-reality immersive education test-beds are also encouraged.
This is the second summit organised by the newly formed European Chapter of the Immersive Education Initiative (http://europe.immersiveeducation.org), and builds on the success of the previous iED Europe summit held in Madrid in November 2011. See http://europe.immersiveeducation.org/events/ied-europe-summit for an overview of the previous summit and the online proceedings. The European summit complements the international summits that are held in Boston and organised by the Immersive Education Initiative in the USA. (see http://mediagrid.org/summit/).
Topics of Interest includes, but are not limited to, the following:
- Blended/Hybrid learning
- Personalised learning
- Intelligent agents in learning
- Edutainment & Game-Based Learning
- Location-based and contextual learning
- Immersive Educational technology markets & challenges
- Virtual and mixed-reality for education
- Educational software/hardware
- Intelligent classroom
- Virtual laboratories and tools
- Pedagogy for the Internet Age
- Innovations in the teaching laboratory
- Student assessment in high-tech teaching environments
- Cultural dimensions of educational technology
- Educational technology innovations
- Social/Collaborative learning
- Smart educational environment
- Teaching strategies to maximise benefits of emerging technology
- Future research issues for Immersive Education