I still haven’t finished writing my notes from SLEDcc, and now ALT-C is already over, and I’m on the train home… oy. Something of a record breaking day for blog entries today as I turn notes into posts, so I’ll keep it brief. This post rounds up the Sloodle related activity at SLEDcc. A case-study, new free standalone tools, and our own flash-mob stylee meeting.
First up, we have published our first case-study – based on Chris Surridge’s experience in using Moodle, Sloodle and Second Life to support a cultural exchange program. I’d printed up 300 copies of this, and most delegates should have got a copy in their registration pack (I was short of the total amount, so not quite everyone, apologies). I’ll post this online a.s.a.p. The evaluation within the study is limited – the intention here is really to simply provide an example of how Sloodle has been and can be used to support a class.
Demos and Launches
Despite being at SLCC in person, I was giving an in-world presentation – focussing on the use of embedded HTML inside Second Life for educational uses. I had a small but reasonable crowd. I started by asking if anyone there was currently using web-pages embedded inside Second Life to support their classes. No one was. This is a shame, as embedded web-pages have great potential, though it isn’t always obvious how best to make use of the potential.
We had a few demos, including the launch of the Sloodle browser, a free tool to support collaborative web-browsing inside Second Life. The goal here is to enable shared browsing, with an easily controlled pointer/virtual mouse which can be used to focus attention on different parts of a page and to click on links. For anyone not in Second Life already, this might not sound much – but this is the first tool to actually allow you to do this fundamental browsing activity using the in-world web viewer.
I also launched the Sloodle quizHUD, which I mentioned in a previous post.
With no Sloodle items on the official program, Jeremy and I thought we would try and have a public Sloodle meet anyway – we found a space in the timetable (after sessions on Saturday), a space in the hotel (just off the lobby) and then spread around some fliers to drum up interest.
Almost 30 people turned up, squeezed into an area supposed to have capacity 23, Jeremy’s projector was pointed at a bit of wall and that was that. We were over the ‘sim’ capacity, and there was some griefing from the cafe manager, but we managed to soldier on with an improvised agenda.
Inventing new meanings for the word Sloodle almost inevitably took a turn for the irreverent – it apparently being an ancient Scottish term relating to over-consumption of alcohol (thanks to Sarah Robbins for that one).
We proudly showed our project plan for the forthcoming year – a two page document with a title on page one, and nothing on page two. We then asked for help in filling out the plan, and got some really useful feedback from people there, even if they didn’t go so far as to write the plan out for us! It gave us a great chance to answer questions about what Sloodle can actually do for the people there, I hope we can now follow up with some of the specific requests. If we can get another day added to each week it should be possible
I really enjoyed the discussion in this session, and if you were there then thank you!
Other than that, there were a load of individual discussions relating to Sloodle, and a chance for Jeremy, Gia, Peter and myself to chat a little more about what we would like to do over the next year.